Thursday, May 9, 2013

My First How To! Tunisian Crochet (Afghan Stitch)

OK so when I first wanted to learn this stitch I had a HECK of a time finding something I could follow with easy and it was through trial and error that I finally figured it out myself.

I hope I can make this easy for those looking for help in learning this stitch as it can add a little something extra to your piece.

Now there are a few different kinds of hooks you can use. 

There is the Fixed Afghan Hook which is solid like a knitting needle. 

Fixed Afghan Hook
It's a little awkward to hold I have to admit

There is the Flexible Afghan Hook, like a regular crochet hook only this one is equipped with a long flexible (usually some type of plastic) tail.
Flexible Afghan Hook
This is my personal favorite as I have found a way to wrap it around my wrist to make it more comfortable


Lastly there is the Double Ended Crochet Hook or Cro-Hook for short, essentially it looks like a pair of circular knitting needles only the ends are hooks not points.

Double Ended Crochet Hook or Cro-Hook
As intimidating as these might look if you can use either of the above then this one is no trouble at all.

Basic Tunisian/Afghan Stitch

Abbreviations used
YO = Yarn Over

Chain stitch how many your pattern calls for or how ever many you want to do.
For this example I chained 10 since I am using a regular 'I' hook

Skipping the first chain on the hook insert your hook through the next chain (second from the hook) 
I always use the bottom of the chain, it seems to keep everything neat.


YO, pull through, leave the loop on the hook 


There should now be two loops on the hook


Repeat the previous to the last chain
Once again since I'm using a normal crochet hook for this I can only do so many, this
is where the specialty hooks come in handy.

Now this part is both easy and tricky
(If you happen to crochet tightly or are just clumsy like me)


 YO pull through one loop


YO pull though two loops


Repeat previous until end
From my experience no matter the number of stitches (odd or even) it always ends out even
at the end of the row.


To continue the stitch for how ever long your piece is going to be, insert hook in second little bar from the hook, yarn over pull through
This one here, NEVER the first one at the end, the loop on the hook always counts as your first
Insert hook
YO
Pull through repeat
Once you get the hang of it it goes quick
Repeat until end


Then again you will YO pull through one 
*YO pull though two
 repeat from * until end



Finishing Up/Fastening Off

Similar to the previous rows insert hook in second bar from first loop


YO
Pull through


Unlike the previous rows you will pull that new loop through the previous loop


Essentially it is like a single crochet without the second YO

So you make a new loop and pull the new through the old all the way to the end



So you continue this until your all the way at the end and...
TADA! All done

And this is what the back looks like, similar to a stockinette stitch


I really hope this guide wasn't too confusing it's my first how to, so be sure to leave me some feed back.






1 comment: